So, after finally empting the garage of all boxes and the eliptical, Jeff tried to pull his car into his spot. Low and behold.... it doesnt fit. After some manuvering. Having scewed it abit and having his car touch the stairs railing we were able to close the garage door.... with a half inch to spare. The only way he can do that is if I sit there and guide him every day after work. And if he tried to pull in straight at all the garage door would hit the car. Obviously this is not ok for us, especially as we are looking at getting a new car to replace Jeff's slightly oil leaking, 120,000 miled Alero. Jeff really wants the Mazda 6 or a Chevy Malibu, but there is NO WAY either of those would fit.
When we had the four way inspection before we closed, Ron the super said that the house was placed higher then expected so they had to add two more steps (that is 20 inches of space). He even said "Your car should fit", but with the driveway still wet we couldnt try it.
So Ivory's warrenty department is comming tomorrow at 12:30 to look at the garage. So tonight we are going to do the research of all the standard cars ie Accord, Camery etc that wont fit. Jeff will probably take my car to work and leave his so we can have the Ivory guy try to put it in the garage and make it fit himself. SOOOO everyone please pray that the warrenty guy will find the situation as rediculous as we do and that they will try and do something about it. Wether it is changing the steps, giving us a third car garage, tearing off the front of the garage and expanding it a foot, or giving us some kind of cash compensation for the fact we only have a one car garage. So, Ivory, the number one homebuilder in Utah seems to have given us a whole lot of problems. Dont get me wrong, I love my house, I love the town, I love Brocks school, I love the ward, I love my lot.... I just dont love my garage and the HOA (another story entirely). I just hope the guy is reasonable.
5 comments:
That sucks, there is no nice way to say it. I wouldn't accept money instead of them fixing it because with the snow, you NEED a garage and if you ever sell it you'll have to sell it as a 1 car garage house. I am sure there is some building code that says the dimensions have to be so and so. DON'T TAKE THEIR EXCUSES! FIGHT THE SYSTEM! WIN! WIN! WIN!
I TOTALLY agree with Meri. If they try to convince you there is nothing you can do, tell them you will be looking into it, and mention calling the Better Business Buero. You should be able to fit two average sized cars in there. COME ON!
You should buy a Smart Car...I bet it would fit. :)
So whatever happened with the garage?
I'll answer that, Meri. The Ivory homes quarentee man came, took pictures and is going to get back.
Post a Comment