In efforts to save money, Jeff does most of the shopping. He runs after wendys or occasionally on a day off to pick up only the things we have to have ie milk and bread. He does also get the weekly sale items that are too good to pass up (like the chocolate chex for 1.48 a box he got today). With Jeff doing the shopping we end up with no real food in the house. You end up lacking food ideas when you dont have cream or chix, sour cream, cheese, etc. So I went and wondered down each isle looking for things that we dont have and need. I managed to get out of the store not having spent too much.
But then today happened. Lets have hamburgers.....ok easy. When you actually have food in the house hamburgers isnt easy any more. Suddenly there are toppings. Well we have onion to caramelize, and bacon would be good on top too, oh and a jalapeno, tomato, lettuce, cheese, and all on grilled toast (since we dont have ham buns). Well it becomes a production ending up with a 20-30 point burger that could rival even Carl Jrs finniest.
Dont get me wrong, Im not complaining about making dinner for my family, but an 88cent box of hamburger helper and steamed broccoli or pancakes have far less clean up then a real meal. You are probably thinking Im crazy to complain about the normal hamburger toppings, but when you dont have them cause bacon, onions, jalapenos arent something to waste money on, and the lettuce and tomatoes are usually all gone on the days we decided on hamburgers - you begin to appreciate things like that.
Ok crazy little rant over. On another note we got the hospital and surgeon bills totalling just about 4500. It took them less then two weeks to send those out. We have decided to pull out our tiny 401 k which after fees and taxes will give us enough to just pay off the surgeon and the new computer. Then well just figure out how to pay the hospital something each month. Jeff and I are very pleasently suprised at the churches new employment provident living site. It is far better then the old one and seems to have more jobs posted. Maybe something will come from that.
3 comments:
I love that you are posting more often, but the mother in me wants to take a red pencil to it. I know, Mom, get over it. Dad and I saw the church site you mentioned last Sunday and Dad put it in his pocket to mention to you. But looks like you saw it, too. Hope it is fruitful for you. Love to the little ones and to you and Jeff, too.
Horray for fancy burgers! A lot of clean up, but homemade burgers are DA BOMB! With bacon and carmalized onions? Sounds delish!
I'm exctited about the new website too. I hope the job you are waiting for is posted right now!
Katie, trust me I know what you are talking about. I made meat loaf without onion the other day. I NEVER buy fancy toppings (the only topping Jared ever needs is lettuce). Even buying a bag of Frozen French Fries seems expensive to me--so I buy 50 cent corn bread instead. I do admit I am not very good about sales. I have a weekly budget and try to keep under it as much as possible. If something is on sale and we aren't going to eat it that week--I don't buy it.
Post a Comment